Dr. Katie Azevedo, an Idaho native, has worked in education for nearly 20 years.
She has held a variety of positions, including a classroom teacher, instructional coach, professional development facilitator, research assistant, adjunct professor and state-level director. Her focus is to promote positive learning environments through academic and behavioral strategies that increase the learning and achievement for all students.
Katie has provided numerous professional learning opportunities for educators, clinicians and other stakeholders on the topics of:
- Understanding Poverty
- Effective Standards-based Instruction
- Utilizing Data to Improve English Language Acquisition
- Instructional Strategies for English Language Learners
- Utilizing Cognitive Coaching to Support Reflection Practices
- Effective Team and Collaboration Structure and Strategies
- Implementing Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports
- Behavior Management Strategies
- Staff Wellness
- Bullying Prevention
- Utilizing Trauma-sensitive Practices
- Creating an Interconnected Systems Framework for School Mental Health
Katie holds a Doctorate of Education from Boise State University. She’s a certified Schoolwide Information System (SWIS) Facilitator, a trained SET evaluator, and holds certificates in both Foundational Cognitive Coaching and Advanced Cognitive Coaching.
In her role as Director of PBIS Idaho and the Idaho Positive Behavioral Network (2013-2020), she assisted districts and schools in increasing their capacity to provide an integrated systemic approach for meeting the needs of all learners, while utilizing their resources in the most efficient and effective ways.
In 2020 Katie launched Azevedo Consulting, specializing in mental health and positive behavior strategies for national, state, and local education agencies and mental health providers. Much of her time is also focused on writing federal grants and supporting this work with the goal of increased capacity and sustainability at the local, regional and state level.
In her free time, Katie loves spending time with her family and friends. She loves all things outdoors, especially working with horses and staying active.